Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Muslin #2

My goals for muslin #2 were:
  • make fitting changes to Simplicity 3790
  • learn to use my binder attachment for my brother 2340 CV coverstitch machine

Fitting:



  • I added a separate sleeve by overlaying the bodice from view D on view A.
  • I added length for my dropped waist to the "flounce," as it is now called at my house, and also to the bodice.
  • I brought in the neckline a little.
The shoulder was way to big. It just flopped off of me.

I cut out a 22. According to the measurements, it would be too small for me, yet I still needed to take 2 inches off of each shoulder. I went to both Sherril's and Debbie's blog and stared at some of their knit tops. In their knit tops, the shoulder seam sits on the shoulder point. I took a deep breath and did it.

I'm glad I did it. I don't think the style suits me, but the shoulders fit to beat the band! I really learned something. Apparently, the only part of me that is small is the distance from my neck to my shoulder. Humph.

My husband took the picture of me in the sleeveless version. I told him that if one takes a picture of something sewed for a sewing blog, it is customary in include the sewed garment. He said, "What? The flounce matters? Tell them it looks like every other flounce." Usually my son takes the pictures. He's more patient.

I ended up taking 3 inches of length off the flounce and four inches off the bell shaped sleeves at the wrist, tapering to the seamline above the elbow.

Thanks to Sherril and Debbie for including muslins and discussions of fitting issues. You have helped me push myself out of my comfort zone to try to tackle my fitting challenges. I am tempted to leave off pictures of myself in anything less that successful garments, but showing each other how we get to success is as worthwhile as sharing our success. Thanks, guys!

Binder Attachment:

The binder attachment was easy! I was so afraid that I'd have trouble getting it right. I have little patience with sewing machines. But it was easy! I had to fiddle a bit, but things got corrected simply and quickly. I like it! It looks so professional. I am also getting smoother with thread removal and such. My problems the first day were definitely thread related. For this project, I started with two new spools of thread, and I had no problems.

4 comments:

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

LOL about the photographer issues. When I ask a non-sewing friend to take photos of my projects I usually get closeups of my face, sometimes (and only sometimes) with a bit of the garment but never EVER a full length photo. The concept is just lost on them.

Sherril said...

You did a great job altering for a fitted sleeve. Now you actually see your body inside AND you know that if the pattern has cut on sleeves, you need to just walk away. The bit of fold over on that type of top is called blouson. I'm happy that my right-out-there policy on my blog has helped you. If you need any help ever, just PM me on patternreview.com. I so need to buy me a binder for my CS machine.

~Sherril~

Faye Lewis said...

I'm glad that you included how you worked out fitting that sleeve. I'd rather have sewn in sleeves rather than those cut in too. Just my preference, but I'm never really sure how to go about it. Thanks for showing it. I've had that pattern for quite a while and and now that you have made yours, I'm tempted to give it a try. Now, the binder attachment - I didn't buy the additional attachments for my Janome coverstitch - maybe I'll get them for my birthday that's coming up. What exactly does the binder attachment do? Is it for sewing on bias strips or seam binding to neck edges? - please excuse my duh moment here.

Summerset said...

Well, it looks much, much better, and you've learned a lot. Sometimes it is just as important to know what doesn't work and what does work. The binding looks great! I have a couple of binders for my coverstitch and have enjoyed using them.