Sunday, January 27, 2008

But I do like the jeans

Eh. It's ok. I over compensated and made it too big around the hips. The three quarter length sleeves look dumpy. I'm just too cute for this top.

But the worst part is whatever is going on under my arms. Those lumps are not illusions. Funny, but Debbie just had a similar problem with her Burda WOF tee. I plan to reread her post carefully and alter the tissue. I'm not feeling like altering this one.

My husband burst out laughing once when I'd said for the hundredth time in response to a wadder, "I'll just use it to garden and exercise in." I rarely do either, but it makes it seem ok to just move on.


My rib knit trim came out shabby, too. I was going to use clear elastic, but lost my nerve at the last minute. I couldn't get it right. I really wanted it to look like ready to wear, and it just doesn't. I lost my motivation when I could tell it wasn't coming out like I wanted. Instead of stopping and trying something else, I just kept thinking, "cover stitch machine, cover stitch machine." That didn't exactly help.

The trim looks better in the picture than in real life. It isn't that it looks bad; it just looks unique, which was not what I was going for.

And, yes, I made the jeans, and I like them. They are about four years old, have seams that are worn through to the next layer of fabric, and have a blown-out fly that's been hand repaired numerous times. They have belt loops, a back yoke, back patch pockets, two front pockets, a watch pocket, and a metal button. They are something good that once came out of a bad year.
Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alana, I found your blog through another (not sure which one though!). My name is Alison & I live in Sydney, Australia & I think we're twins! I have just made a cross-over top - was going to make the Sandra Betzina one but changed to a Kwik Sew; my sewing room is bad like yours and I am also a bit fluffy (although I suspect I'm much fluffier that you!!). Oh & I've made jeans too - Sandra Betzina pattern, too short! Love your blog. :)