Friday, July 27, 2007

5K Update and Goals

Since I decided to run in a 5K, I have done physical activity every day for eight straight days. That's exactly what I was hoping the commitment would motivated me to do.

I am working out at the YMCA on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Right now I do a seven minute warm up on the rowing machine, 25 minutes on the elliptical machine, and use the FitLinxx machines to do weight training. Today I had my first Women's Free Weight Training class. It went well. There are three more classes, so my goal next week is to try each of the exercises that I was taught at least once before the next class.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I will try an "active lifestyle" activity. For instance, this past Thursday I did 25 minutes of skipping in my back yard pool, since it was hot and humid. I started out water walking, but found skipping more fun and challenging. I might walk the dog, go for a bike ride, or take a short run.

On Saturdays and Sundays I will walk and/or run around the four mile block near my house as fast as I can. I found out last weekend that I can walk it in one hour and sixteen minutes. I'd like to work up to running part of it, then slowly running more and walking less. I don't really have any concrete goals on that right now, since I really don't know what's realistic. I'll just have to keep moving and see what I discover.

When school starts, this will all change. I teach, so my kids and I are home for the summer. Once we all go back to school, we'll adapt. I work part time, so I can be done at 3 PM. When DS #1 has to work, I'll pick up both boys, take one to work, and walk in the neighborhood. On non-DS#1 work days, I'll pick up both boys and go right to the YMCA. We'll all work out and then go home.

OK, those are my goals. If I stick with this, I'll need all new clothes, clothes to work out in, clothes for the race, clothes to wear to work cause I'll be thinner, clothes to wear around since I'm thinner. Woo Hoo!

No comments: